The Antique & Classic Boat Society (ACBS) is dedicated to the preservation and restoration of historic, antique and classic boats and provides education about their heritage.
From the time of its first official general meeting and board meeting of officers and directors on February 9, 1975, in Boston, the Antique & Classic Boat Society (ACBS) has been dedicated to bringing together people with a love of antique and classic boats and boating.
Our mission is to promote the love and enjoyment of all aspects of classic boating. In furtherance of that goal, ACBS also provides scholarships to worthy students seeking careers in the field of antique marine restoration and preservation. ACBS also acts as a central governing body for the classic boating hobby and our chapters.
Membership in ACBS also provides access to a range of information ranging from our award-winning magazine, The Rudder, to restoration videos and numerous member discounts, including discounts on boat insurance. Our regular activities include boat shows, restoration symposiums, and quarterly meetings in some of the most beautiful boating areas in North America.
Below is an excerpt from the Annual ACBS Directory which contains the Vision and Mission Statements of ACBS, the list of Founders, Charter Members, and ACBS Past Presidents.
ACBS in brief . . .
Since its founding in 1975 on the shores of Lake George, New York, The Antique and Classic Boat Society, Inc. (ACBS) has grown into the largest society in the world dedicated to the preservation and enjoyment of historic, antique and classic boats. We embrace all styles of classic boats whether they are wood, fiberglass or metal.
With 7,000 family memberships (approximately 12,000 individuals), ACBS brings people with this common interest together to share fellowship, information, experiences and ideas.
Every year, ACBS sponsors over 100 antique boat shows throughout North America, France, and beginning in 2017, in Scandinavia.
When you include hands-on workshops, symposiums, cruises, parties, trips and meetings – you will see there is truly something for everyone.
The vision of The Antique and Classic Boat Society, Inc. is to provide an organization wherein people with a common interest in and love of historic, antique and classic boats can come together with friends and colleagues in a spirit of fellowship and fun to share dreams, adventures, knowledge, history and experiences.
The mission of The Antique and Classic Boat Society, Inc. is to:
- Bring together people with a common interest in historic, antique and classic boats, sharing fellowship, information, experience and ideas.
- Protect the heritage of boating by promoting first, the preservation and second, the restoration of historic, antique and classic boats.
- Promote, further and encourage a love and enjoyment of all aspects of historic, antique and classic boating.
- Serve as a communication channel for our membership, the public, and any other entities regarding information relating to historic, antique and classic boating. This includes serving as a clearing house and referral service for all information relating to historic, antique and classic boating.
- Serve as the governing body and parent organization for such chapters as shall be formed and created under our auspices. This includes providing support for and communicating with these chapters.
- Inspire and support quality boat shows and related events among our chapters, to establish and maintain standards for classifying boats and conducting boat shows.
- Educate our membership and the general public concerning safety and protocol as it relates to historic, antique and classic boating.
Joseph W. Fleming II G. Mason Saunders
Edward Larter, Jr. Munro Sherrill
Ray Nelson William Smith
Anthony O’Boyle John R. Summers
William F. Beach William H. D. Jones Helen Reynolds
Captain John C. Binley James G. Kiernan Laurance T. Reynolds
John H Blair Bonnie V. Koopman Dr. Rolf O. Ronning
Robert H. Bleiler Ronald C. Largey George Searle
John M. Boardman Richard Larrabee Philip P. Sharples
John Pl Bremer Thomas H. Luce Clifford E. Shipman
Vincent Callahan Wayne Mocksfield Jeanette Sherrill
Herbert G. Clopper Dr. Ronald Montana Barbara C. Smith
Gordon Cramer Daryton H. Mook Adrienne C. Snelling
Lee Dow Howard D. Mook II Charles D. Snelling
Gregory Feldman William J. Morgan David P. Symonds
Patricia Feldman Richard P. Morrison Robert W. Valpey
Robert M. Fell Francis P. Mulderry Merritt Vaughan
Joseph Fleming II Barbara A. Nelson Newman E. Wait, Jr.
Donn E. Gauger Charles R. Nelson Frank Warner
Clement G. Hartley Jean Nelson Richard Winsor
Godfrey Howard Judge Fred Patton Thomas H. Wiss
Gene Irish John A. Pittala David M. Woodcock
James Irwin, Jr. John F. Prendergast Patrick Young
George F. Johnson Donald G. Price Edward J. Zibro, Jr.
2016 Jeff Funk Indiana
2015 Brian Gagnon Philadelphia
2014 Teresa Hoffman Adirondack
2013 Dunc Hawkins Toronto
2012 Jim Mersman Water Wonderland
2011 John Bergstrom Water Wonderland
2010 Gail Turner Blue Ridge
2009 Dick Werner Columbia Willamette
2008 Gene Porter New England
2007 Robert C. Bush Northern CA/ Lake Tahoe
2006 Jeffrey A. Rogers Water Wonderland
2004-2005 Jeffrey Stebbins Bob Speltz/ Land O Lakes
2003 Dick Sherwood Finger Lakes
2001-2002 Jean Hoffman Adirondack
1999-2000 John Harvey Heartland Classics
1998 Thomas E. Flood Michigan
1997 Tab Miller Chesapeake Bay
1996 Steen Melby Long Island
1995 Paul Walker No. California/Lake Tahoe
1995 (Honorary) Mary Herwig Manotick
1994 Leslie W. Rue Blue Ridge
1993 Arthur D. Guy Sunnyland
1992 Ann B. Matheson Blue Ridge
1990-1991 Ronald W. Ballantyne Michigan
1988-1989 Joseph W. Fleming II Lake Hopatcong
1986-1987 John E. Barron Niagara Frontier
1984-1985 James H. Higgins III Adirondack
1981-1983 David J. Kidd Adirondack
1978-1980 William P. Willig Adirondack
1975-1977 Ray Nelson Adirondack